Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: [LUPO SOLITARIO] Libro XV: The Darke Crusade

fottiamogli il loot per dispetto hahahaha

!

Quote Originally Posted by 323.
    You uncover the sack and sift through its contents. Gleaming in the dim light you see a mass of coins, silver plates and candlesticks, jewellery, and all manner of precious and semi-precious stones. There are countless gold teeth, pulled no doubt from the mouths of fallen Lencian knights, and scores of trinkets and other mementoes taken from less noble corpses. One item you sense possesses magical properties. You pull it out and, on closer inspection, you discover it to be a polished Jadin Amulet which is fixed to a gold neck-chain.

If you decide to keep this Jadin Amulet, record it on your Action Chart as a Special Item which you wear around your neck. It adds +1 to your score should you be instructed to pick a number from the Random Number Table when trying to avoid normal missiles (e.g. arrows, bolts, darts, etc.) aimed at you.

Having replaced the sack in its hole, you draw your cloak about you and approach the main gates. The guards are busy admitting the latest batch of prisoners and, helped by your camouflage skills, they do not give you a second glance as you stride confidently into the town.

Once inside, you head towards a dark, deserted alleyway which is sandwiched between a stables and an armoury. From here you observe the compound with a growing anger and pity for those trapped inside. Stirred by their plight, you vow to help these starving men. Patiently you watch and wait for the patrols to pass; then you scurry towards the compound fence to make contact with the Lencians.

Turn to 150.
    Amuleto! Immagino che ce lo intaschiamo

Quote Originally Posted by 150.
    Huddled together in a corner of the compound, away from the other prisoners, is a small group of men-at-arms. The fronts of their tattered blue coats bear the emblem of a crown set above the crest of Vadera identifying them to be of the same regiment—the Imperial Vadera Guard—one of Lencia’s finest. Using your Magnakai skills to avoid detection, you make your way to the fence and try to attract their attention. One of their number, a captain, sees you and is immediately suspicious. You signal to him to come closer and, reluctantly at first, he crawls towards the fence.

Illustration VIII—A captain of the Imperial Vadera Guard crawls reluctantly towards the fence in response to your signal.

‘You’re not Drakkarim or Lencian. Who are you? What do you want?’ he hisses, through cracked lips that are blue with hunger and cold. ‘Is this another Drakkarim trick devised to torment us?’

‘This is no trick,’ you whisper in reply, trying hard to reassure him, ‘I’m an ally in the service of your King. I want to help you and your men to escape.’

He holds you with his steely-grey eyes and slowly shakes his head.

‘It’s too late to help us,’ he says, sadly. ‘We’re too weak to resist. Some have tried and they’ve all died in the jaws of the dogs. No, you save yourself, stranger. Forget us.’

‘But if you stay here you’ll starve to death,’ you retort. ‘Surely it’s better to die fighting than waste away. The garrison here is small, barely forty in number. I could cause a diversion and draw their dogs away. Your men may be weakened but still they outnumber the enemy five times over. For Ishir’s sake, man, have you lost the will to live?’

The Lencian captain glances over his shoulder at his starving comrades and, when he turns to face you once more, you see a faint glimmer of hope in his eyes.

‘All of these men have been more than a week without food or shelter. Many have died, many are near to death. I fear they are too weak to fight an enemy who has food in his belly and a sword in his hand. Perhaps…if we had weapons…’

‘If you do as I say, you’ll have weapons enough to pluck this town from under their very noses,’ you reply, earnestly.

The Lencian narrows his eyes, and for a moment, the trace of a smile softens his gaunt features.

‘Very well, stranger. Tell me your plan.’

Turn to 61.
    "Il nostro piano è che tagliamo la rete con la nostra luminosissima spada urlando "For Sommerlund and the Kai!" a squarciagola e voi finirete comunque tutti vittime della nostra Death Aura"

Quote Originally Posted by 61.
    ‘I’ll prepare a diversion. When the guards and their dogs are drawn away from the perimeter fence, you must act quickly. You and your men must storm the gates. Once you are free, make your way to the armoury with all haste. You’ll find your weapons there.’

‘That’s all very well,’ replies the captain, sceptically, ‘but how do you propose we get into the armoury? It’s the most secure building in the town.’

‘Don’t worry about that,’ you say, with confidence. ‘I shall be inside, waiting to let you in.’

For a few moments the captain considers your plan in silence. Then, with a nod, he finally agrees.

‘Very well, so be it. I’ll pass the word.’

You watch as he returns to his men; then you leave the fence and retrace your steps to the darkened alleyway.

Turn to 305.
    Ok, il mio piano per fuggire dalla prigione è uscire dalla prigione e sopraffare le guardie!

Quote Originally Posted by 305.
    When the coast is clear, you enter the stables and set a fire in the straw loft. Then, as you are leaving, you open each of the stalls so that the horses will be able to escape once the fire has taken hold. On returning to the alleyway you run to the rear of the armoury building and locate a window through which you can force an entry. It is shuttered and barred, but aided by your innate Kai skills, you are able to break it open. Unfortunately, the noise of your forced entry alerts the two Drakkarim who are on guard inside the building and, as you are squeezing through the narrow window, they attack you with their black-bladed swords.

Armoury Guards: COMBAT SKILL 32 ENDURANCE 40

Unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Pathsmanship, reduce your COMBAT SKILL by 3 for the first round of this combat.

If you win this combat, turn to 166.
    PFFFF

COMBAT RATING +13 (con Mindblast)

Roll...5
    Lupo Solitario -1 (41)
    Armoury Guards -14 (26)

Roll...0
    Lupo Solitario -0 (41)
    Armoury Guards SBLATTATI!

Quote Originally Posted by 166.
    As you step away from the dead guards, you hear shouts of alarm outside the building: the roof of the stables has just erupted into a sheet of flame. The garrison is thrown into a state of near-panic as it tries to fight the fire and contain the horses which are stampeding through the streets.

You run the length of the armoury and hurriedly lift the massive drawbar which holds the main doors closed. Outside, you see the perimeter guards are abandoning their posts in order to fight the fire now raging through the stables. The Lencians are on their feet. They are grouped by the entrance to the compound and, as the last of the guards leaves, they rush forward and barge open the gates. Led by the captain, they come streaming across the flagstoned square towards the armoury, sweeping aside any Drakkarim foolish enough to try to turn this vengeful tide. With a cheer they pour into the armoury and equip themselves with weapons from its many racks of spears and swords.

‘Let’s take this town!’ shouts the captain, and amid stirring battle-cries of ‘Lencia’ and ‘For the House of Sarnac’, the starving Lencians set off to obey his command.

You try to reach the captain, whose name you learn is Schera, but before you reach him you are swept out into the street and carried along by this crowd of battle-hungry soldiers.

Turn to 39.
    LO RADIAMO AL SUOLO QUESTO POSTO DI MERDA!

Quote Originally Posted by 39.
    The fight for control of Konozod is swift and bloody. Within the hour the town is under Lencian control, its Drakkarim garrison having been put mercilessly to the sword. However, not all of the enemy perish in the battle. To Captain Schera’s dismay, several manage to escape across the river and flee to the west on horseback. He is anxious that they may return with reinforcements to retake the town.

A food store is discovered and, whilst the starving Lencians satiate their hunger, you talk with Captain Schera about the events of the last few weeks which have led to this meeting. Your learn from him that after you were interred in the Temple of Antah, Warlord Magnaarn waged a major offensive against the Lencian army. Having reunited the Doomstone with the Nyras Sceptre, he has, as King Sarnac feared, forced the Nadziranim sorcerers of Kagorst and Akagazad to help him. Their combined skills have wrought great destruction. They attacked and drove through the Lencian lines like demons in an offensive which was swift and deadly. A week ago, Captain Schera and his regiment were cut off and captured in the fighting around Hokidat, after which they were marched here and imprisoned. He considers himself lucky to be alive, for the Drakkarim rarely take prisoners. Then you ask what news he has heard about the war since he came here.

‘There’s much confusion,’ he says, wearily. ‘I’ve heard talk that most of the mercenaries in Sarnac’s pay have deserted us. Some have even joined the enemy. The Drakkarim taunted us, saying that our army had been smashed. They said the remnants had been pushed into the Tentarias, but I dismissed this as lies. One thing is sure, though: Magnaarn intends to raise the siege of Darke. It has become his battle call—“On to Darke!” This cry was on the lips of his troops during the battle at Hokidat. I saw him during this battle. He was leading his army personally, and he was wielding his accursed sceptre, dealing death to all who tried to stand in his way. He possesses a great and terrible power, and I fear that we may now be unable to put an end to his evil ambitions.’

If you wish to ask Schera if he knows anything about Captain Prarg, turn to 97.

If you do not, turn to 236.
    Ci informiamo sulla sorte di Prarg ? O no ?

Lupo Solitario, Sun Knight

CS: 41 (+8 Sommerswerd, +2 Silver Helm, +4 Weaponmastery, +5 Circoli Magnakai, +2 Silver Bracers, +3 Kagonite Chainmail, +2 Levelup)
    --> 45 (con +4 Mindblast)
    --> 49 (con +8 Kai-Surge)

EP: 42/42 (+1 Kagonite Chainmail, +11 Circoli Magnakai, +1 Silver Bracers, +4 Levelup)

Discipline Grand Master
    - Grand Huntmastery
    - Grand Pathmanship
    - Kai-Alchemy
    - Kai-Surge
    - Kai-Screen
    - Magi-Magic

Weapons (2): Dagger, Scarlet Warrior's Sword

Backpack (8): Rope, Adgana (LA DROGGA +6CS, su roll di 0 o 1 diventiamo dipendenti e perdiamo 4 EP permanentemente), Signet Ring, Brass Key, Alether (+2 CS), Meal, Meal, Wine

Special Items (12): Sommerswerd!, Silver Bow of Duadon, Silver Helm (+2 CS), Silver Bracers (+ 2CS, +1 EP), Quiver (6), Kagonite Vest (+3 CS +1 EP), Helshezag (+5 CS, +7CS vs Darklords; al secondo round riduce permanentemente gli EP di 1), Statuette of Zagarna, Green Key, Silver Rod, Jadin Amulet (+1 ai Roll per evitare proiettili normali)
    [Non occupano spazio]: Korlinium Scabbard, Map of Mogaruith

Money (50): 37 Corone, 60 Kika (10=1C), 20 Lune (4=1C)

MORTOMETRO: XII
    - Istakillato dall'esca+party hiddato (Libro I)
    - Caduto in una trappola da caccia Giak (Libro I)
    - Inchiappato nel sonno da un agente dei Darklords (Libro II)
    - Fatto Bunjee Jumping senza l'elastico insieme ad un Helghast (Libro II)
    - Vittime di una Cantina (Libro IV)
    - Tentacle-raped (Libro VII)
    - Sparati da un Nano storpio (Libro VIII)
    - 1v1 con lo Zakhan Kimah (Libro IX)
    - 1v100 con il Baron Shinzar (Libro X)
    - Caduti durante la scalata ad Haagadar (Libro XI)
    - 1v1 con Vonotar all'ultimissimo sangue (Libro XI)
    - Sparati da un vecchio storpio (Libro XV)
    Let's Play: la serie di Lupo Solitario, di Joe Dever

Let's Play: Highway Warrior, di Joe Dever

Scopriamo come è morto male, fa sempre piacere avere tali info...
    LA VERITA' E' LA FUORI! MA ANCHE NO...
    Spoiler

Spoiler

Master Chief Petty Officer Rise-the-Sky's Avatar

Secondo me ci dirà che lo conosce e che era un imbecille che si addormentava sempre quando doveva fare la guardia...
    spamm is life.

Ahò, 'a Schera, pe' caso sai cheffine ha fatto Prarghe?

E già che ci sei, hai mica visto un certo Paido in giro? Magari nudo e incaprettato?

Quote Originally Posted by 97.
    Schera considers your question, and then he replies:

‘I’m sorry, I’ve heard nothing. There have been so many men lost, killed, or captured since Magnaarn attacked. I know of this officer, and though we’ve never met, I’ve heard tell that he is a good and brave man. All I can tell you is that I have not seen him here in Konozod.’

Turn to 236.
    Chissà che fine ha fatto

Quote Originally Posted by 236.
    Captain Schera musters his men, and posts lookouts around the town wall as a precaution in case the Drakkarim return during the night with reinforcements. He then oversees the care of the sick and wounded. You are impressed by his devotion to the men under his command and, once his duties are completed, you return with him to the armoury to formulate a plan of action. It is decided that it is too dangerous to remain here and you agree that you should leave at first light. Schera says there are sufficient boats to transport everyone downriver to Darke, but there is a risk that you could run foul of Magnaarn’s troops. However, he is determined to rejoin his army. If the Lencians are still resisting Magnaarn, then he reasons that the city of Darke is where the battle is most likely to be taking place.

Before you settle down to sleep, one of Schera’s men brings you some food and ale: restore 3 ENDURANCE points.

To continue, turn to 23.
    Quote Originally Posted by 23.
    Schera wakes you shortly before dawn and wearily you rise from your makeshift bed. Mindful of the journey ahead, you make a brief search of the armoury and discover a few weapons, and other items which could prove useful:

6 Arrows
    Quiver
    Dagger
    Sword
    Spear

If you wish to keep any of these items, remember to adjust your Action Chart accordingly.

The captain sends word to his men to find boats for the voyage downstream. The order is duly carried out and, within the hour, twenty small craft have been brought to the icy river on the west side of the stone bridge. Schera appoints ten men to each craft; then you and he step aboard the first boat, cast off, and begin a voyage that will take you towards the coastal city of Darke.

The current is strong and the river is free of obstructions, enabling your flotilla to make swift progress downstream. Much of the river bank is lightly wooded and Schera commands everyone to remain vigilant in case there are Drakkarim among the trees, lying in ambush. You pass through the woods without incident, and shortly before noon, you see the ruined town of Odnenga in the distance. Every building has been razed to the ground and a pall of wood smoke hangs above the town, fed by fires still smouldering from a battle that took place here several days ago. The river here is blocked by debris and you are forced to put ashore. Schera’s men set to work clearing a passage, while you and the captain scout the ruins in search of information.

A soot-blackened road, running east to west, divides this shattered town into two halves. Schera suggests that you split up and search one half each and you nod in agreement.

If you wish to search the north side of this ruined town, turn to 2.

If you choose to search the south side, turn to 296.
    Nord o Sud ? Non credo ci serva nulla dalla rumenta che abbiam trovato.

Master Chief Petty Officer Rise-the-Sky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Ahò, 'a Schera, pe' caso sai cheffine ha fatto Prarghe?

E già che ci sei, hai mica visto un certo Paido in giro? Magari nudo e incaprettato?
    Mamma mia mi è venuta in mente la scena della Lussuria di Seven...solo con Paido come puttana e Prarg come cliente e un contorno di Drakkarim festanti...

EDIT: finalmente qualcuno di utile...sto Schera invece di fotterci il cibo ce ne porta lui ed è pure così buono da curarci. Perchè i pg utili come questo o muoiono o li abbandoniamo dopo 2 pagine?

Cmq Nord...facciamoci guidare dal nostro sangue Ariano (anche se ultimamente le copertine la mettono un po' in dubbio).
    Last edited by Rise-the-Sky; 2nd May 2013 at 15:13.
    spamm is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise-the-Sky View Post
    Mamma mia mi è venuta in mente la scena della Lussuria di Seven...solo con Paido come puttana e Prarg come cliente e un contorno di Drakkarim festanti...

Comunque si aprono scommesse sulla futura sopravvivenza di Schera

Andiamo a sud a portare il nostro ariano verbo a quelle creature senza fede...

Btw Schera sembra troppo figo come amico, apro al a terza via per me è un traditore...
    LA VERITA' E' LA FUORI! MA ANCHE NO...
    Spoiler

Spoiler

Andando verso sud ovest, la sinistra è il sud... rotoliamoci!

Andiamo a Nord!

Comunque sia è lolloso vedere come Joe faccia sparire dalla faccia di magamund i nostri inutili companion sono proprio curioso di vedere se lo fa ripoppare nudo e con la doppia incaprettura Paido on Prarg!
    “Perché io?”
    “Perché eri un cacciatore senza denti. Sei stato scelto per la tua rabbia, sei stato scelto per tutte le ferite che avevi subito, scelto per tutte le volte che eri stato colpito, picchiato e umiliato davanti agli altri. Scelto per la rabbia che eri costretto a tenerti dentro,per le parole che non potevi pronunciare. Scelto per la furia cieca che avvolgeva il tuo cuore come una morsa dopo ogni pugno e ogni calcio che ti veniva inferto,dopo ogni sasso che ti veniva lanciato. E per la rabbia più grande di tutte,quella che riservavi a te stesso,perché eri incapace di reagire,dato che loro erano sempre di più, e sempre più grandi, e sempre più forti. Ma se le cose cambiassero? C’è forse miglior cacciatore di chi un tempo era la preda? Qualcuno che sarebbe spinto a difendersi dalle forze oscure mandate dal mondo,che non si fermerebbe mai neppure se fossero tante, e molto più grandi e potenti di lui. Perché essendo stato un tempo preda non permetterebbe mai a se stesso di ridivenirlo. Non si arrenderebbe mai. Morirebbe piuttosto che sottomettersi. Perché tu? Perché fra tutti quelli che erano presenti quel giorno,c’era un solo cacciatore. E come ti dice la tua adorata scienza…i simili si attraggono,la presenza dell’osservatore influenza l’osservato,ed è matematico che non esistano casi e coincidenze. C’è solo…cortesia professionale.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfo in ts
    Sono un materialista del culo

Spoiler

nord
    mandale83 on PSN
    Spoiler

Lieutenant

Sud

Ci piace il caldo, quindi andiamo a sud!

Quote Originally Posted by 296.
    Slowly you wander through the smouldering ruins but discover little that has survived the fire which, at its height, must have transformed this whole town into a blazing inferno. The charred bones and skulls of those who died in the battle are strewn everywhere, and no attempt has been made to gather and bury them. You are examining the twisted remains of an iron axe when suddenly you sense that someone is nearby. You can tell that they are weak and in pain.

Instinct leads you to the ruins of an inn, and as you enter what was once its front door, you stop to listen. You can hear someone breathing. You detect they are somewhere below ground and you call out to Captain Schera to come quickly.

‘What is it?’ he says, as he enters the ruined inn.

‘There’s someone alive here,’ you reply. ‘They’re somewhere beneath the floor.’

Schera helps you to lift away some charred beams and you discover a trapdoor. You pull it open and slowly descend a flight of stone steps leading down into a cold, dank cellar. The sound of breathing has stopped but your suspicions are soon confirmed. There is somebody here.

Turn to 197.
    OMG, le cantine sono pericolose quasi quanto l'acqua e rubare cavalli, su Magnamund...speriamo bene!

Quote Originally Posted by 197.
    In a corner of the cellar you see two booted and bloodstained feet protruding from beneath a mass of collapsed flooring. You move closer and discover they belong to a Lencian soldier who is badly wounded and barely conscious. Schera helps you to clear away the charred timbers that are pinning him to the ground and, using your Kai healing skills, you attend to the man’s wounds. After a few minutes he recovers consciousness just long enough to tell you his name—Hul Sendal.

You both carry the man back to the river and place him carefully into your boat. The captain’s men have managed to clear a passage wide enough for the flotilla to pass through in single file, and as you continue your journey down-river, you spend some time nursing the injured soldier back to consciousness. He tells you of the battle that destroyed his regiment, of how Magnaarn used his sceptre to set the town ablaze, and of how he has survived the last six days sustained by nothing more than a few handfuls of snow. His account of the battle is chilling and it leaves you with a gnawing fear that maybe it is already too late to prevent Warlord Magnaarn from regaining control of Darke.

Turn to 208.
    Fortunatamente è solo un'altra futura vittima della nostra Death Aura

Quote Originally Posted by 208.
    West of Odnenga, the river meanders very little as it crosses the snow-swept plain of Southern Nyras. It is a deserted landscape, yet Captain Schera cautions his men to remain watchful, doubly so whenever the boats pass an occasional copse of fir or stunted pine. Late in the afternoon, as the light is beginning to fade, you come to a forested part of the river where the banks are steeply undercut. Trees are growing at the very edge of the overhanging banks and their roots are clearly visible, hanging down like clusters of vines into the icy waters of the Shug. You are watching the left bank when suddenly your Pathsmanship senses alert you to the threat of ambush. You warn the captain and he signals to the following boats to put ashore at once.

Having sensed the threat, you volunteer to go forward and scout the woods to find out who—or what—is there. Schera agrees, and he calls for three of his men, all trained army scouts, to accompany you. He and the rest of his command will remain here with the boats and wait for you to return.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table. If you possess Grand Pathsmanship, add 3 to the number you have picked.

If your total score is now 4 or less, turn to 81.

If it is 5 or more, turn to 275.
    "Si Sig. LW, lei è un dio tra gli uomini, ma la faccio accompagnare da questi esploratori che sono incredibilmente meno abili di lei e che le saranno totalmente inutili in caso di combattimento"

Roll...3! +3 andiamo a 6

Quote Originally Posted by 275.
    You brief the three Lencians to spread out into an extended line and to watch carefully for your signals before you scale the river bank and make your approach to the trees. They all seem to be competent scouts but you have your reservations. Had it not been for Schera’s insistence, you would have preferred to have reconnoitred this copse alone.

Silently you creep forward through the snow, using the sparse undergrowth to your advantage wherever possible. You are less than a hundred yards into the copse when you spy a small camp hidden among the trees. It comprises four white canvas tents attended by a dozen lean and hungry-looking human soldiers armed with longbows. A furled battle-flag stands propped against one of the tents and you signal to your nearest scout to join you, hoping he will be able to identify its chequered black-and-white design.

‘They’re League-landers of Ilion,’ whispers the scout, staring at the campsite. ‘I know that flag well. They’re good mercenaries, these men, loyal to the King. We fought alongside them at Hokidat.’

You are anxious about going forward and making contact with the mercenaries. If they are as good as your scout claims, there is a real danger that they will fire first and ask questions later. You tell your companion of your fears and he smiles.

‘Don’t worry, Sire,’ he says, ‘I know how to contact them.’

Turn to 316.
    Had it not been for Schera’s insistence, you would have preferred to have reconnoitred this copse alone. E' una cosa così cretina che se n'è accorto addirittura Lupo "Dove sono finiti i miei 50 Ranger" Solitario!

Quote Originally Posted by 316.
    The scout places two fingers to his lips and gives a long, warbling whistle. The sound makes the mercenaries turn and stare in your direction, and you hear one of them whistle twice in reply. Your scout then calls out a request that you be allowed to enter their camp. There is a long pause; then a heavily-accented voice replies:

‘Show yourselves.’

Relief that you are human, and not Drakkarim, is displayed clearly on the faces of these League-landers when the four of you stand up and walk towards their camp. You receive a warm welcome from these soldiers of fortune, and two of them offer to escort you to their leader—Baron Maquin.

Turn to 294.
    "Relief that you are human, and not Drakkarim" Wait a minute O-o Ma da quando i Drakkarim non sono esseri umani? O.o

Comunque andiamo a incontrare il Barone Manichino

Quote Originally Posted by 294.
    You and your scouts are taken to a lookout post on the banks of the river where you meet with Baron Maquin, the leader of this mercenary band. He is a tall man, clad from neck to toe in furs that are caked with frost. A battered silver helm hides much of his battle-scarred face, but you can see enough of his distinctly Ilionian features to know at once that he is a brave man, a man of honour. He regards you with a sceptical eye, having never before met a Sommlending lord, let alone one such as you. He questions you at length, and upon hearing your story, you sense that he is greatly impressed. In return he tells you briefly of how he and his men have come to find themselves here.

Illustration XVII—Baron Maquin, leader of the mercenary band, regards you with a sceptical eye.

‘This regiment is still loyal to King Sarnac,’ he says, proudly, ‘unlike the cowardly Stornlanders. They have broken their pact and now they fight ’gainst Lencia, alongside the enemy.’ The Baron spits at the ground in a show of contempt for these treacherous regiments. ‘My command has been left here to fight as a rear-guard. Our orders are to ambush any Drakkarim that may try to reach Darke by river. We believe there to be many enemy reinforcements at Konozod and our task is to prevent them from joining with Magnaarn.’

You remind the Baron that you have just come from Konozod and that it is virtually empty. There are no enemy reinforcements there. Respectfully you suggest that he and his men join with you in an attempt to reach Darke, where he could join once more with the Lencian army. He considers your suggestion, and after discussing it with his men, finally he agrees.

‘But first,’ he says, as he shakes your hand in friendship, ‘you must summon your men to my humble camp. It will soon be dark and it is much too dangerous to travel this river at night. You could be ambushed!’

Turn to 262.
    Illustration XVII—Baron Maquin, leader of the mercenary band, regards you with a sceptical eye. Oh certo Barone. Ho solo salvato il mondo intero un paio di volte. Non c'è di che.

Quote Originally Posted by 262.
    You send one of the scouts to summon Captain Schera and his men, and when they arrive they are treated most hospitably by the mercenaries who, despite their own hunger, unselfishly share out their meagre rations.

You stay here overnight and break camp at dawn. The Baron’s regiment has suffered heavily in battle and now totals little more than forty men, and so you have no difficulty in finding room for them in the boats. Captain Schera is especially pleased to have these warriors aboard. Despite their losses, they are a cheerful group and they help lift the morale of his men.

The journey downstream passes swiftly and without incident until, shortly before noon, the sky grows steadily darker. An orange glow illuminates the distant horizon, and you can see many pinpoints of fire spread all across the land. An eerie silence descends on the flotilla as it draws nearer to the city of Darke. Shortly after, you see lines of troops marching towards the glowing skyline. Then you witness isolated actions taking place in the surrounding fields as groups of Lencian knights, cut off during the retreat, fight desperate hand-to-hand battles with Drakkarim cavalry. Some Drakkarim horse scouts have reached the river bank, and as you pass them, they open fire at you with their bows. But the swift current soon carries the flotilla away and there are few casualties.

Illustration XIV—Whilst observing the distant battle, a large black carrion crow lands on a nearby log and stares at you with a cold, beady eye.

It is an hour past noon when you first see the forbidding city of Darke. A great battle is raging around its mighty walls and bastions, and the noise and stench of this fierce conflict comes gusting towards you on the chill winter wind. The river current is getting stronger as it approaches the sea, and so you signal to the other boats to row for the bank. You put ashore on the right bank and both Captain Schera and Baron Maquin have their men take up defensive positions here. There is a road close by, running parallel to the river, and beyond it lies a snowy expanse of open plain on which many regiments of Drakkarim, and some Giaks, are marching towards the city. You are observing the distant battle when a large black carrion crow lands on a nearby log and stares at you with a cold, beady eye.

If you possess Animal Mastery, turn to 168.

If you do not possess this Discipline, turn to 302.
    Non avendo Animal Mastery non possiamo ordinare al corvo di cagare in testa al Barone

Quote Originally Posted by 302.
    The bird suddenly takes fright and flies away, cawing long and loud as hurriedly it disappears towards the northern horizon.

Turn to 328.

Quote Originally Posted by 328.
    Baron Maquin and Captain Schera are anxious to move their men away from the river bank. Their military training has taught them to avoid placing their troops with their backs to an impassable body of water, for if the enemy were to attack, there would be no way to escape. You understand their concern and, using your ability to magnify your vision, you scan the landscape in search of a more advantageous position. A mile away, to the northwest, you see a tiny hamlet. It appears to be deserted and you suggest to the two officers that they move their men there. Briefly they discuss your suggestion and both agree that it would be a safer position.

The order to move is passed along the ranks and the men prepare to leave the boats and go forward. You take the lead, together with the Baron and the captain, but you have barely covered a quarter of the distance to the hamlet when your tracking senses warn you that a threat is approaching from the north.

If you wish to insist they return to the river, turn to 105.

If you wish to hurry towards the hamlet, turn to 248.
    Torniamo indietro verso il fiume, o procediamo avanti verso il villaggio ?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast