PDA

View Full Version : Nerf Inc

McLove.
18th September 2013, 08:23
Emma, Cable e sul FFoF

Hi guys,

We have two nerfs coming in the next patch on test center (and likely live servers). I want to tell you about them directly and openly.

Generally, we never nerf something unless something is breaking the overall game somehow, which is rare. We instead spend the time to buff everything up to the most powerful ability instead of nerfing something. We have done about 2000 buffs to powers and items over the last few months and about 5 actual nerfs.

However some things just break game mechanics and can’t be fixed by buffing numbers of other things. The following two things are breaking the game as a whole and need to be corrected: Permanent Mass Invisiblity and Extreme Power Durations.

1. Permanent Mass Invisibility

Every experienced player understands how Ms. Frost is breaking many boss fights with “perma invisibility” for the entire group. (or almost permanent)

This was a very risky ability to design for Emma, but we wanted to push the envelope with a new power concept.

We are going to adjust the power to keep the same functionality for now, but increase the cooldown and reduce the duration. This may not be enough, but we’ll see how it plays. If this is still too powerful, we’ll consider other design options while maintaining the usefulness of the power – it’s important to us that this power is very, very good and very unique – just not gamebreaking. MichaelMayhem is considering adding stat-related buffs to it as an option if it needs further changes.

2. Extreme Power Durations

Power duration from the Doom Medallion and item affixes are breaking various powers with durations, creating a lack of interaction in certain fights and making many fights trivial.

This greatly hurts our ability to design new and interesting powers for heroes and introduce content such as raid, legendary challenges, etc. (all stuff we are actively working on)

Rather than nerfing a bunch of powers right now and avoiding new powers in the future, we are adjusting the “curve” for power duration on items downward for the future of the game. As an upside, this will give us some breathing room to look at other duration-based powers on certain heroes and potentially increase their duration.

For the Doom medallion, we are cutting the duration bonus by approximately 60%. We are buffing the damage on the medallion by 35% and adding a health bonus to the medallion. For some builds, this will be a net buff. It’s still useful for duration-based powers, just not damaging to the game as a whole.

Old Doom Medallion: http://imgur.com/kKboKc6

New Doom Medallion: http://imgur.com/xtfUfJH

The “Watch List”: One of the things we will continue to do is be transparent about which items/powers we are monitoring because of potential gamebreaking behavior. We did this a lot at Wizards of the Coast with cards that may have to be banned in certain Magic formats to keep the player prepared. We called this the "watch list" and updated it monthly.

With that in mind, we are closely monitoring data and gameplay on FFoF. We will likely need to adjust the functionality of this item, but want to find a smart, measured way to do it so it’s still excellent (or even better for certain builds), just not absolutely broken under certain circumstances. We are not in a rush to do it, but it's something that we talk about.

I know everyone hates nerfs. I do too. I want to be as straightforward and clear to everyone that they are happening and exactly why they are happening. I know some will disagree with specifics of the solution or even the need to find a solution, but at least we can be very transparent about it.

Buff Note: We have many, many buffs coming in the next patch (Thursday/Friday) and for the patch next week (and the week after that one), including: many hero powers improved, many uniques and medallions improved, and significant buffs to experience and loot. We buff about 100 times more things than we nerf, of course, but sometimes we have to make adjustments that are unpopular.

I apologize that we have to do this. Given infinite testing time and infinite foresight, we would never have to nerf - we don't have that, but we will continue to be vigilant about everything we do. We want to push the envelope of power and creativity with new powers, so there is always a trade off that something is just broken. We will keep that to a minimum.

Thanks very much for your time and please feel free to leave feedback - positive or negative.

in altro post viene spiegato visto, che la %duration di cable e' importantissima e dicome il neck di doom sia un item necessario (per uppare sia il dps datoc he molti anni sono dot, sia per la siurv visto che molti cast di difesa/scudi sono timed)

As a quick reference, Kinetic Repulsion at rank 25 lasts 7.6 seconds. With a 63% Doom medal it goes to about 13 seconds. Even 13 seconds is a lot of rebuffing, with this its back down to 7.6 and then anyone using it is almost constantly reapplying it. I haven't even mentioned the CAST TIME.

We completely agree and talked about buffing Kinetic Repulsion and God Mode slightly (and perhaps a few other duration powers), which will be much safer now.

McLove.
18th September 2013, 09:50
addo altre info dallos tesso thread

Couple notes:

We are looking are Daredevil overall for some quality changes in October.

Emma's Telepathy builds will be buffed if they aren't up to par, rest assured.

Cable will still be one of the most survivable heroes after this change, especially since he will gain significant health increase if you continues to use a Doom medal.

We believe Black Widow has room for buffs in several skills and we'll be working on that.

Ideally, we can adjust FFoF to still be extremely powerful without breaking the game. We aren't in a rush to make the change until we are sure we can do that.

Spider-Man has 3 rounds of buffs - a small one in this patch, a moderate one in next patch and another moderate one in the patch after, which will equal a large buff all said and done.

We do not intend for Kinetic Repulsion to be a toggle, it's one of the most powerful powers in the game, so we want some level of interaction with it.

The idea suggested of using the grappling hook power for a Jean Grey telekinetic move is a good idea and I'll pass it along.

I hear you about Leaping Assault and I will make sure the Spider-Man rework "strike team" hears it. They are very serious about their Spider-Man work.

For Emma players who use Mass Invis, it's still a hilariously powerful skill, but it requires a little bit of decision making now when to use it. It will probably still be the #1 skill in X-Defense and cow levels.

Walken81: The goal is to get this patch tested by QA and out to you guys in the next 48-72 hours.

Harry; Yes, as a Cable player I used the Doom medal since launch and I was very sad when it first changed, but I know as a Cable power how strong the power is, so I sucked it up. Cable can still use a few quality-of-life improvements in several areas which we have on the horizon.

RockMonster: We may very well add a debuff so 5 Emmas can't solo all content, but that isn't currently being worked on.

Zephyr - duration affix on other items may change about 30%, but not for this patch.

Randolk
18th September 2013, 10:08
unammerda di status protection per cap niente proprio eh? un tenacity bonus buttato lì? essù.

McLove.
18th September 2013, 10:10
unammerda di status protection per cap niente proprio eh? un tenacity bonus buttato lì? essù.

lo dicevano ieri.

Captain America getting a CC breaker is a reasonable request
parole di doomsaw

Randolk
18th September 2013, 10:48
godo.