PDA

View Full Version : An Explanation of Game Mechanics: The Damage System

McLove.
2nd December 2013, 00:50
Hi. My name is HarryTasker. You probably haven't heard of me. I come to you tonight to share with you just how the damage system work after facepalming from some of the gearing recommendations I've seen from around the forum. This topic covers how damage rating works, critical rating, critical damage, brutal strike rating, brutal strike damage, flat vulnerability, %vulnerability, and artifacts with %damage based on range.

GLOSSARY OF TERMS
Damage rating: A flat number that affects how much damage nearly every skill in game does. Multiplied by your hero stats and critical hits.
Critical rating: Your chance to critically hit an enemy.
Critical damage rating: A bonus stat that grants bonus damage on criticals based on a coefficient. Is not multiplied by the critical multiplier or player stats.
Critical multiplier: How much our damage is multiplied by on a critical hit. For example, the default modifier is 1.5, or 150% damage dealt on criticals.
Brutal strike rating: Essentially a crit of a crit. If you have no crit chance then you will never land a brutal.
Brutal damage rating: The same as critical damage rating. Bonus damage on a brutal strike.

THE SUPPRESSION SYSTEM
The suppression system is a hidden mechanic that makes bosses more difficult. Your chance to critically hit a boss level mob is reduced by 40%. So for example, if your paper doll displayed 30% chance to critically strike it would be reduced to 18% on a boss. Extremely important to know for calculating your dps and potential gains from bonus critical damage.

THE JUICY BITS: HOW DAMAGE RATING WORKS
So, now onto the fun stuff. Damage rating is simply a measure of how much damage our skills gain from it. It is modified by our synergies, player stats, and the critical multiplier. Nearly every skill in the game has a hidden coefficient attached to the skill that determines how much damage it gains from damage rating. For the sake of variety, we will exaime 2 different skills when understanding the damage system. The skills that I will model are Scarlet Witch's Chaotic Hex and Cable's Energy Pulse.

Chaotic Hex has a .45 damage coefficient attached to it, meaning we gain .45 damage per every point of rating or for a larger scale every 100 damage rating is 45 damage gained before modifiers are applied. So, to apply modifiers, we look at our Energy stat+synergies. For this example we will assume a 3% energy synergy and +25% mental damage from Rank 7 Energy stat. Our model for this example will be as follows:
.45 * 100 * 1.28 = 57.6 damage

So, for every 100 damage rating we attain our Chaotic Hex will go up by 58 damage due to rounding.

For our second model, we will now look at Energy Pulse. Energy Pulse has a .26 damage coefficient and also scales off 2 different stats, Fighting and Energy, due it to being an energy power with the Fighting tag applied to it. In this equation we assume 25% damage from Rank 7 fighting, 20% energy damage from Rank 6 energy, and a 9% synergy:
.26 * 100 *1.25 * 1.29 = 41.925 damage

As you can see, hybrid powers scale insanely well compared to non hybrids and these tend to be the skills that get maxed on the majority of player builds that have hybrid scaling available.

CRITICAL DAMAGE: OR HOW I LEARNED TO STOP STACKING IT AND LOVE DAMAGE RATING
Critical damage, for the most part, is generally an undesirable stat for how little the gains are. Unlike damage rating, critical damage is only active when you can score a critical hit. It's damage is not multiplied by player stats or the critical multiplier whereas damage rating scales with both. It also has a coefficient attached to it that is the same as your damage rating coefficient (unless you are using a power that ticks twice a second). Let's do some simple models, the first being on Chaotic Hex and the second on Energy Pulse. We will assume 100 crit damage rating and 25% boss critical chance:
.25 * .45 * 100 = 11.25
.25 * .26 * 100 = 6.5

Our equation reads simple. Since critical damage rating will only be active 25% of the time, we simply multiply our .25 crit chance with the coefficient to find out how damage we truly gain from it and as you can see, the results are horrendous. Let's do this again but with 500 critical damage:
.25 * .45 * 500 = 56.25
.25 * .26 * 500 = 32.5

As you can see, even with 5x the amount of critical damage rating as normal damage rating is still a dps loss compared to gaining 100 damage rating over 500 critical damage rating. Obviously the results will vary based upon your critical chance, but a general rule of thumb is damage > crit damage.

THE CRITICAL MULTIPLIER
The critical multiplier is fairly straight forward and favors damage rating for reasons I'm about to delve into. The base multiplier is 1.5, or 150% damage when you score a critical hit. So, to calculate how the critical multiplier affects our DPS from damage rating the formulas get a little bit more mathy. Again, 25% critical assumed for a boss:
(.25 * .45 * 100 * 1.28 * 1.5) + ( .75 * .45 * 100 * 1.28) = 64.8 damage

On paper the gains aren't very high but we're also working with smaller numbers here. Energy Pulse requires a different model as each rank has a scaling critical multiplier. For our example we will assume a rank 40 Energy Pulse granting a 2.3 multiplier on criticals:
(.25 * .26 * 100 * 1.25 * 1.29 * 2.3) + (.75 * .26 * 100 * 1.25 * 1.29) = 55.5550625

As you can see once again, the hybrid nature of Energy Pulse in addition to the 2.3 multiplier causes it to scale insane with damage rating. Now, as for why damage rating trumps critical is fairly simple. Compare our two sets of numbers on each power:

Chaotic Hex with 100 Damage Rating: (.25 * .45 * 100 * 1.28 * 1.5) + ( .75 * .45 * 100 * 1.28) = 64.8 damage

Chaotic Hex with 500 Critical Damage Rating: .25 * .45 * 500 = 56.25

Energy Pulse with 100 Damage Rating: (.25 * .26 * 100 * 1.25 * 1.29 * 2.3) + (.75 * .26 * 100 * 1.25 * 1.29) = 55.5550625

Energy Pulse with 500 Critical Damage Rating: .25 * .26 * 500 = 32.5

It's no contest that damage rating is exceptionally better than critical damage because of all the modifiers it gains.

THE STAT THAT NOBODY LOVES: BRUTAL STRIKES
As you can probably guess by now, brutal strikes are bad. Crit of a crit. If you have 10% assumed brutal on a boss and 25% critical assumed you will only land 2.5% of your attacks as brutals. I don't think I really need to go into much detail on brutals so I'll just leave this simple equation:
.25 * .1 * .45 * 500 = 5.625 damage
.25 * .1 * .26 * 500 = 3.25 damage
Simply rubbish. Under no circumstances do you ever want to itemize for brutals because of how poorly they scale. While the example above only proves brutal damage rating, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that damage rating is flat out more desirable as it is active 100% of the time and not 2.5% on our model.

VULNERABILITIES
This section is short and sweet as there is little to explain. % based vulnerability skills, which are Eye for Weakness, Jungle Snare, Turbulent Winds, Web Spray, and Demolition Stomp, multiply your damage by whatever percent they are. For example, rank 39 Eye for Weakness increases your damage by 62.5%, so our 100 Damage Rating Energy Pulse will now be 90.269765625 damage.
Flat damage vulnerabilities are bugged and are generally stronger than intended. Rank 21 Enervating Hex provides a vulnerability debuff of 230.8 damage. Now, under normal conditions (aka not bugged) this would simply add 230.8 additional damage rating to be modified by our skills. Unfortunately, it's applying as an additional 230.8 more damage per hit that isn't modified by stats. So for example, a power with a rate of fire of 8 shots per second would gain an additional 1846.4 damage per second from this debuff.

NETHERANIUM JEWEL/MOTION TRACKER
This section is also short and sweet. Your total damage rating is modified by 15% (or whatever the roll is on your item). So, if you had 5000 damage rating at max range with a 15% motion tracker you would then gain 750 bonus damage rating to your abilities.
And that's a simple explanation of how damage works in this game with numerous examples.

http://forums.marvelheroes.com/discussion/48505/an-explanation-of-game-mechanics-the-damage-system/p1

McLove.
2nd December 2013, 00:54
sotto la sezione del THE CRITICAL MULTIPLIER si nota perche', numeri alla mano il Gungir

Rank 1: +400 Critical Rating
Rank 2: +1000 Critical Damage
Rank 3: +400 Critical Rating
Rank 4: +1000 Critical Damage
Rank 5: 5% chance on hit to enter odinrage. gaining +1000 brutal strike rating for 5 seconds

non risulta essere ottimo come scelta in generale ed in termini di danno non solo per la suppression che e' del 40% del vs crit sui boss , ma anche dovessero rimuoverla del tutto perche l'aumento di danno dato dal crit e l'aumento di danno dato dal crit damage e molto basso in proporzione a quanto aumenta il danno il flat damage rating quindi altri leg come possono essere il rod , il bow o excalibur danno un incremento sicuramente maggiore.

paradossalmente anche le norn stones su alcuni pg se insieme ai bonus degli unici , portano dei boost del 5% delle main stats, in termini di danno o di sopravvivenza risultano essere preferibili al Gungir non solo in termini di andare a scegliere core in maniera disinvolta ( NB bonus alle main stats sono ingenti fino al rank 7 oltre sinceramente nn valgono la pena perche gli incrementi in genre sono di 1% a livello alcuni inziano a scalare terribilmente anche priam dell settimo step btw).

per questo non lo consiglierei mai a nessuno almeno con questo gioco qua al momento.

Tl;DR 100 damage rating portano un beneficio nel danno maggiori di 500 crit rating, la cosa e' ancora più ingente nelle skills hybrid che subiscono piu moltiplicatori di stats (es fighting + energy) e la minusvalenza al salire del crit generale aumenta visto il diminish nel crit rating.

sapevatelo ;)

McLove.
2nd December 2013, 01:28
Altra tabella interessante è la progressione per la diminish dell attack speed

> afx doll
> 1 1
> 2 2
> 3 3
> 4 4
> 5 5
> 6 6
> 7 7
> 8 8
> 9 9
> 10 10
> 11 11
> 12 12
> 13 13
> 14 14
> 15 14
> 16 15
> 17 16
> 18 17
> 19 18
> 20 18
> 21 18
> 22 19
> 23 20
> 24 21
> 25 22
> 26 23
> 27 23
> 28 23
> 29 24
> 30 25
> 31 25
> 32 25
> 33 25
> 34 26
> 35 26
> 36 26
> 37 27
> 38 27
> 39 28
> 40 28
> 41 28
> 42 29
> 43 29
> 44 29
> 45 30
> 46 30
> 47 30
> 48 31
> 49 31
> 50 31
> 51 31
> 52 32
>

- Nexus 7 - Tapatalk 4 -

Randolk
2nd December 2013, 02:23
sì ma a me piacciono i big orange numbers ok? OK?
cmq questo di intende strettamente per pve, dove ovviamente conta solo e soltanto il dps e soprattutto sui boss, quindi sulla "lunga" distanza.
per il pvp (chi lo fa obv) è tutta un'altra musica.

poi ci sono altre piccole eccezioni che riguardano però il singolo toon.
esempio, hulk. ha una skill che lo fa crittare in automatico per 5 sec, escluso power duration.

McLove.
2nd December 2013, 02:39
sì ma a me piacciono i big orange numbers ok? OK?
cmq questo di intende strettamente per pve, dove ovviamente conta solo e soltanto il dps e soprattutto sui boss, quindi sulla "lunga" distanza.
per il pvp (chi lo fa obv) è tutta un'altra musica.

poi ci sono altre piccole eccezioni che riguardano però il singolo toon.
esempio, hulk. ha una skill che lo fa crittare in automatico per 5 sec, escluso power duration.

chiaramente al di la dei singoli toon con skil particolari per quanto una skill che da un crit call a tempo puoi anhce avere il 2% di crit base tanto per quei 5 sec farai tutti i crit.

ma non e' vero che conta solo sui boss e sulla lunga distanza. sicuramente i trash li oneshotti quasi tutti sempre quindi critti o damage importa poco ma gia a partire dai blu e yellow il problema di stackare crit over damage rating si sente.
perche e roba che non oneshotti o quantomeno quelli in t4 ed in sh blu e yellow io non li oneshotto ne con IM ne con spiderman (vestito da dio) ne con colossus qualche colpo e poi di uno gli deve arrivare.

la normalizzazine del dps elimeinera anche abomini di danno come e' ora IM o Sm non tireranno ste stonfe, infatti la normalizzazione del dannot ra i toon ha avuto la priorita sul rework di alcuni proprio per derenre il content piu adeguato a tutti i char e nona vere char che mangiano il content anche nudi e char che vestiti da dio sucano.

tieni anche conto che la crit% del paperdoll e' sui pari livello il content al 60 e su mob 63 quindi hai una diminuizione della crit rate anche per via del livello.

lo si diceva da tempo stackare crit al post di damage rating in sto gioco non conviene poi oh ognuno e libero di fare il cazzo che vuole come sempre ma di fatto le cose funzinano cosi non dico che non sia fuoriviante specie alla luce di come erano le cose su altri giochi, ma ad esempio si produce molto piu danno con un metasensor (non adv ma quello di livello basso 5% attack speed 200 damage rating e +1 all) che con un kargul che da 800 crit damage e 280 crit rating.

sul pvp se ne puo parlare ma anche li nel momento che il danno e al 30% e che gli hp il dodge sono aumentabili con i bonus dei token probabilmente anche in pvp il frontload damage dato dal crit se non supportato da un ottimo damage rating la prende in saccoccia, in pvp per quanto in beta tirare giu i nemici oltre che l'assist serve anche un botto di tempo.

ad ogni modo sono contento che anche su gambit ho preso il bow come su cable, ne ero gia certo mentre molti consigliavano il Gung sulle board (perche e' ibrido!!! e imho non e' un buon motivo per prendere una cosa mediocre sia melee che ranged fermo restando che il bow tra 5% attack speed e 2 proc imba da boost anche al melee) e questo thread di harry tusker esce proprio a fagiolo.

Randolk
2nd December 2013, 12:15
ma io vedo sempre più lungo! :metal:

@JamesBarnes said: Does any of this address crit/brutal and dodge suppression on bosses, which is a hidden mechanic and not new player friendly? Seeing as how it seems there is a move from obscure power coefficients now.
Doomsaw:Agreed - One of the goals is to be able to remove this mechanic entirely from bosses. It will require a lot of tuning work, but it's likely to be possible for the patch.

:D

Rise-the-Sky
2nd December 2013, 12:28
Prima che mi metta a leggere sti malloppazzi... ma saranno ancora validi post modifiche del dps di dicembre? Perchè so che cambieranno delle cose tipo che il danno delle skill varierà in base al livello del champ ecc.. e non vorrei smazzarmi una roba che viene stravolta tra 18 giorni.

McLove.
2nd December 2013, 12:39
ma io vedo sempre più lungo! :metal:

:D

ma vedi randolk quando detto per il crit rating (che un minimo ci vuole chiaramente ma andare di tutto crit e poco damage rating e una minchiata) e damage ratin vale a prescindere dalal suppression. poi per il crit damage non ne parliamo proprio

per farti un esempio 400 damage rating ti da un incremento del danno sempre anche per in non crit ed in piu ti aumenta il crit damage di 400x1.5x1.20=720 critical damage

quindi ha piu senso mettere un item che ti da 400 damage rating o uno che ti da 800 crit damage? ovviamente il primo. mani basse proprio

Randolk
2nd December 2013, 12:47
guarda, io sulla fiducia ho sempre fatto un mix, senza andare a maxare abbestia nè dmg nè crit. mi piacciono gli equilibri.
poi se math alla mano ho torto o ragione, amen. di fatto continuo a mettere flat dmg + crit RATING (non dmg) nel modo più equilibrato possibile.